Monday, May 3, 2010

I'm Searching For My Mainline.



Still on a Velvet Underground kick. I was really digging the live version of 'Venus In Furs' from '66 in the VU video I previously posted which compelled me to hunt down live bootlegs from the '66-'68 period when John Cale was still in the band. At that point in time there seems to be far more willingness on Lou Reed's part to engage in experimental territory with Cale by way of noise/drone/jams. Happily for me, I came across an insane treasure trove of a blog full of VU bootlegs in FLAC format that allows me to bliss out to crazy VU shit like a jam that melds into 'Sister Ray' over the course of 40 minutes. Check out The Nuns Are On The Sea Wall if you want to be overwhelmed.

More rambling & direct links to a few VU boots in particular after the break.

Since these are in FLAC format and rather large files, I'd recommend installing j downloader which will allow you to queue up multiple rapidshare urls & download them for you. Also, there may or may not be megaupload links posted in the comments section at some point with mp3 rips of the FLAC sources of my favs for convenience. Onto the linkage of what I've been digging thus far:

Sweet Sister Ray (40 minute version of 'Sister Ray' from '68 w/ a few more extended versions from '69.)

Melody Laughter (30 minute 'Melody Laughter' jam from '66. Edited down to 10 minutes on the Peel Slowly & See box set.)

Problems In Urban Living (Great show from '68. Loud, scuzzy & shambolic. 'I Can't Stand It' & 'What Goes On' are stand outs.)

At The Warhol Museum (Bit of a misnomer since the boot is comprised of rehearsals at Warhol's Factory & at the Cinematheque in '66. Dig the noodling of The Beatles 'Day Tripper' right before jamming on [& interjecting VU riffs into] John Lee Hooker's 'Boom Boom'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment