Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Keep Her Photograph Against My Heart.



I finally got around to scanning a bunch of Polaroids I've been taking over the past year. I still have a few more stacks to scan, so this is only the first batch. You can see the ones that I've gotten up thus far on my Flickr account under the set: FUJ-POLA. In order to refrain from soley making a self-promoting post I'll spend the rest of this going over how I got into using my Land Camera 250 and the resources I used to get it up and working since I occasionally get questions from friends & strangers alike. For that overview & links to resources, follow the jump below.


Patti Smith's Land Camera 250
(same make & model as mine)


INTRO:

While I was back home on the East Coast last year I came across two Polaroid Land Cameras (104 & 250) in my Parent's basement. After doing some research online I proceeded to stumble my way into getting them both into working condition and accidentally became a Land Camera enthusiast. While both cameras work, I pretty much only shoot with the 250 model. The main reason for this (outside of it looking far more spiffy) is that it has a Zeiss viewfinder.

VIEW FINDERS:

While neither camera has a Zeiss lens, the Zeiss viewfinder on the 250 allows for better focusing than the non-Zeiss 104. The difference being that the non-Zeiss viewfinder focuses based on distance alone leaving you to estimate how far you are from the object you're shooting. The Zeiss viewfinder shows two images that overlap as you focus & becomes flush when it's fully in focus. It's much easier to use & allows for a more guaranteed image as a result. So if you come across a Land Camera or actively seek one out, I'd suggest getting one with the Zeiss viewfinder. Specifications per model can be found on the Land-List.

UPDATE (08.24.10): I was unaware that there are Land Cameras without Zeiss viewfinders that allow for a similar focus. While the Zeiss viewfinders are still preferable and easier to use, if the Land Camera has 2 eye pieces on the back of the viewfinder it should allow for the better focus. One view is for framing & the other is for focus (the Zeiss combines both within one eye piece). Anyway, if you fiddle with the viewfinder you should be able to figure out whether it's a distance focus or a visual focus... the point being that the visual focus can be found on Land Cameras that do not have the Zeiss viewfinder (to correct my earlier statement).


MAINTENANCE & BATTERY HOUSING:

After opening up the battery compartments for both cameras, I noticed that the housing was corroded and that I'd have to special order a specific battery even if I could clean it up. Thankfully after doing some research on the internet I came across Instant Options. It proved to be much easier and cost efficient to remove the original battery housing and replace it with the appropriate AAA housing purchased from Radioshack. Not only did I not have to attempt to clean the brutally corroded battery housing, but AAA batteries are a much cheaper option than sticking with & special ordering the original battery type. If you do need to clean out the compartment from any existing corrosion, I recommend using Q-Tips soaked in vinegar. Instant Options will give you a bit of a work out but it's not all that difficult to do the modification if you're patient. Just choose the appropriate voltage for the particular camera you may have and a compatible tutorial will walk you through the steps. If you don't have a soldering iron, you should be fine just stripping the housing wires, making the connection and reinforcing it with electrical tape. The tutorials will also walk you through how to clean out all areas of the camera which, if it's been poorly stored, is preferable before you run around taking snaps. So, after getting both cameras cleaned out and modified with the appropriate AAA battery housing the only issue was... Polaroid stopped production of all Polaroid film.

FILM:

While Polaroid cut out their film division & stopped production of all Polaroid film, Fujifilm still makes instant film that is compatible with most Land Cameras. The chart & film graphic on Instant Options will give you a good idea of what's compatible with Land Camera models. It shows the 3 Fujifilm pack loading instant film types that are available. These are FP-100b (100 speed black & white), FP-100c (100 speed color), FP-3000 (3000 speed black & white). I easily found a place in my city that stocks all three and while it may seem slightly pricey, I don't find it to be all that outrageous of a cost. Polaroid stock is preferred though unfortunately at this point it's all dead stock & set to expire. Prices are high & the film that is expired isn't guaranteed even if it was originally a better product than the available Fuji film. With that caveat being made, expired film can always lead to interesting shots & is fun for experimentation if you're comfortable with the gamble considering the cost.

After picking up the Fujifilm, I found out the hard way that Fuji's product is slightly different than Polaroid's and fits just a bit TOO SNUGLY into the Land Camera. This is a well known issue but is easily remedied. Unfortunately I found out by wasting a number of shots as the Fuji pack was compressed too tightly in the camera causing me to pull out multiple unexposed sheets of film when trying remove my first shots. I found an incredibly helpful image on FLICKR that showed me how to hold down the springs inside the camera with bobby pins to allow for a comfortable fit of the Fujifilm pack & relieve the tension that was causing me to pull out multiple sheets. Since I bobby pinned the springs down I have had no trouble outside of human error with removing my pictures (one tends to live and learn not to tear paper tabs accidentally).

A few quick tips/notes on the Fujifilm speeds. Depending on the type of Land Camera, there are different film speed settings. If the camera shows only B&W and Color settings, B&W is 3000 speed and Color is 75. If you have a Land Camera with multiple speeds shown, you're good either way. Since Fujifilm is either 100 or 3000 you'll have to choose either 75 or 150 when using 100 speed and play with the 'lighten/darken' setting to compensate if need be. The Fuji 3000 speed black & white won't offer you any issues as all Land Cameras have that setting.

FLASH:

I won't even get into the issue of flash since that's something I haven't even approached as of yet. I haven't undertaken how to mount an electronic flash & flash bulbs for the flash I have are out of production. I will however mention that despite not having a flash & the cameras being automatic, they can take quality images in low light (especially with 3000 speed film). If you're shooting in low light, try and keep the camera as steady as possible (on a tripod or stable surface) and hold down the shutter release for as long as you can until you hear a click. The shutter will stay open when shooting in low light for an extremely long time and provided the camera is stable, you can get some good shots regardless. This is best attempted with stationary subjects since the shutter is open so long but not the rule of thumb. As an example, here's a shot of Daniel Higgs I took recently:



OUTRO:

And that's pretty much it for now, though perhaps I'll add more later. If you go through all that hassle, you'll have a working Land Camera. I could probably elaborate a little more on other minor points I've picked up but the provided links cover a large portion of what you need to know and learning through experimentation will cover everything else. I'm really happy that I took the time and effort to go through the whole process since it has awoken a dormant love of photography and reinvigorated me to pursue a hobby I had long let slide. At this point I'm hoping to find a manual Land Camera (they did make them as seen on the Land List) as well as begin a foray into medium format when I eventually pick up a Kiev88. But now I'm just rambling. Fun times indeed.

COMPILED LINKS:

My Polaroids On Flickr: FUJ-POLA

Land Camera Specs: The Land List
Maintenance & Batter Modification: Instant Options
Compatible Film Types: Instant Options
Bobby Pin/Spring Fix Tutorial: FLICKR

No comments:

Post a Comment